Mother Seton Hospital: BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND

The year 1966 remains a hallmark in the Mother Seton Hospital (MSH) story. It was the year the former Naga Medical Center (NMC), founded in 1958 by a team of young medical professionals, changed ownership and administration. It was offered for sale to the Daughters of Charity (DC) of the Colegio de Sta. Isabel through the audacity and initiative of Sister Imelda Espiritu, DC then the superior of Colegio de Sta. Isabel. The acquisition of the hospital for clinical practice of student nurses in the newly- opened College of Nursing.

To survive the initial difficulties of running a hospital, the DC needed a model of fortitude and they found it enfleshed in the life of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American-born Saint and Founder of the Daughters of Charity in the United States of America . She pioneered in parish schools and left behind an example of inner strength and courage. The turnover of ownership and administration to the Daughters of Charity was formalized on May 7, 1966, three years after her beatification on March 12, 1963. Since then the Naga Medical Center assumed the name Mother Seton Hospital in Honor of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.

By 1974 a three- storey annex building was added and extended behind the original two-storey building and in 1979 it was designated as a tertiary level hospital. Mother Seton Hospital became the home of excellent doctors, competent staff and personnel as well as a beacon of light and hope for the sick and the dying. These milestones in the history of the hospital were all attributed to the intercession of its patroness Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.

On its twenty fifth year in 1991, Mother Seton Hospital celebrated a dual milestones in its history; the Silver Jubilee Anniversary and the Blessing of its new building complex along Roxas Avenue ( Diversion Road ), Naga City which came to be after an objective evaluation of the hospital and its impact on the community. The Administration decided to relocate to a wider and more conducive atmosphere that is free from noise and pollution and environment hazards for the well-being, comfort and healing of the patients.

The new site, which has a land area of almost two hectares, was an imposing two-storey building and built adjacent to this was a chapel named after Saint Louise de Marillac, a pioneer in religious life and in the provision of human services. Together with St. Vincent de Paul they founded the Daughters of Charity in 1633, the first community of non-cloistered sisters, whose members now serve around the globe.

In April of 2003, the four-storey Saint Vincent de Paul Annex Building was blessed and inaugurated. By 2005 the Department of Health granted the hospital to operate with a hundred and fifty bed capacity.
Now on its fortieth (40th) year of dedicated service, Mother Seton Hospital still enjoys the privilege of being the only Catholic hospital in Naga City . With the change of status of Colegio de Sta. Isabel into a University (now known as Universidad de Sta. Isabel), the hospital has indeed become a very strong component in the education and health ministry.

Despite financial difficulties and natural calamities in the Bicol Region, Mother Seton Hospital has survived the test of time. It stands to its commitment to render quality health care to the sick, the poor and the undeserved in the Vincentian or Setonian way.

 

 
 
 
     
    Tel. Nos :
(6354) 473-8417/ 473-8451 /
473-9954


Fax:
(6354) 472-2871

Web Site:
www.usi.edu.ph